Despite the trend toward separating the roles of CEO and Board Chair, many companies still choose to combine these roles. Each with pros and cons, it cannot be denied that a powerful and active board can help minimize risk and be a true asset to the organization. Strong and independent directors can be counted on to provide counsel to support management in times of crisis.
- Does a separate chair really provide a check and balance to a CEO’s authority?
- How can directors and top-level managers best understand one another’s roles/responsibilities and collaborate effectively to achieve success?
- How can a board be empowered to steer the strategic direction of the company, and, if needed, change corporate leadership?
- What are the unique issues that must be considered to ensure that outside directors have the capability and independence to monitor the performance of top management and the company?
- How can outside directors provide relevant oversight and respect the boundary between monitoring management and actually managing the company?
- Is the investor community driving the topic of board empowerment fueled only by the controversy about CEO compensation?
Join us to hear from our expert panelists. These experienced, veteran directors will share their broad range of knowledge and wisdom, providing an opportunity to understand how directors can evolve to ensure they are providing the guidance and counsel needed to drive success.